Sent: Friday, March 18, 2005 5:46 PM
Subject: Re: IML: 1960 electrical problems horns and lights

The turn signal switch isn't that difficult to change. The speedometer has to come out, but it is much easier to remove than the gauge cluster. The hard part would be to find a good switch. If you have a parts car, that would be worth a try to see if it corrected your problem. I didn't notice in your post whether you changed your brake light switch. If you haven't, you should. It is hydraulic and does give trouble. It is also simple to change and also very available. You probably checked your fuses. If you haven't, you should. Often, if you blow a fuse while tinkering, it makes more than one thing quit at the same time. It has been too long since I worked very much on my '60 to be very specific about any of this, but I hope it is helpful.

I have had the horn blowing when turning the wheel syndrome. It has happened twice. Both times were when I wasn't wanting to call attention to myself. Imagine driving a '60 Imperial and not wanting to call attention to oneself! Having the horn blow repeatedly while I was turning the wheel got everyone's attention and it was very embarassing. The rest of the time the horn has worked fine.

Paul