Sent: Saturday, March 19, 2005 11:19 PM
To: mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: IML: Speedometer on '68

Your tires are lower in rolling diameter that the originals,  but not enough
to make a 10% difference.   Also, this error would make the speedometer read
high.  Does yours read high or low?

Also, and more important, have you checked the odometer for accuracy.  If it
is about right (typically they are a few percent high), then your problem
has to be internal to the instrument.  The common cause for JUST the speed
indication to read low is a need for lubrication in the indicator pivot.
That requires someone who knows speedometers to take fix.  The oil is
special, and it has to be applied very carefully.  The common cause for just
the speed indication to be too high is a weak hair spring - again, you need
professional help with this.

If both your odometer and your speedometer are off, and by about the same
percentage, then the problem may indeed be in the drive gear at the rear of
the transmission, or a wrong differential ratio.

The way to check this is to note that the speedometer drive is designed such
that the cable makes 1000 revolutions per mile (this is a USA standard for
just about all cars).  That means if you move your car while looking at the
speedometer cable end, 10 revolutions should be very close to 52 feet 9 5/8
inches.  Check that to verify how far off your gearing is.

Dick Benjamin