Sent: Thursday, March 24, 2005 3:49 PM
Subject: RE: IML: Ignition failure II

Chris Hawkins <imperial1966@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Kenyon,

If your car had an electronic ignition, it likely had
a different ballast resistor and coil. I would make
sure both are correct of a 1960 distributor. If the
wrong ballast resistor has been used with your
point-style distributor, they may be burned.

=========

Both were replaced with correct parts (this is a 72, by the way).

At this time I am starting to focus on the Holley carb.  The car had one and it tended to stick at WOT.  I found this undesireable and found an identical carb that had been sitting for 15 years in a dry shelf.

I sense that the carb is perhaps so lean or that at idle the idle circuit is not operating peoperly, as the car runs great in the middle range.  I dunno, but as I pay more attention to what the symptoms are, I'm guessing that the car wants a different carb.  It did not exhibit these symptoms before the carb swap (same electricals)- just scared the snot out of me when I romped on it and it didn't back down.  The car sat for awhile, and I'm now certain that there are fresh surfaces on the pads and rotors - the car used up one of its nine lives as I stood on the brakes and slapped the ignition off.

I'll write more after I get a different carb.

Kenyon Wills