Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2005 8:49 AM
Subject: Re: IML: 1958 Brake Bellows

Thank you Hugh, but Upland is about 500 miles from here. There is a place a few blocks away that does all this stuff, just limited room and need a scheduled time to take it in for them to do the work. They have done other break work for me and are quite good. Thank you again, might get it back on the road for the show on April 24th in Half Moon Bay, just South of SF Denny

Denis,

Reproductions of 57, 58 & 59 brake boosters are available from a company called Karps out of Upland, California.  This company went to enormous trouble to replicate these otherwise completely unobtainable to find parts a few years ago.  Chrysler 300s from this era also use them and their owners created a demand for the part, thank goodness.  I bought one a few years ago.  The price was very reasonable and the part itself is phenomenally good.  (I am one very cheap guy, and usually feel entitled to complain if any part isn't sent to me just about free and installed at their expense, too.)  I cannot recommend Karps highly enough.

Here is a link to their site:

They will offer to install the new part for you.  If I was you, I'd let them.  You will have to send your old booster to them by UPS unless you are close enough to drive it there.  I have replaced it myself but it is a lot of work.  You'd be surprised how many fiddly little parts are in the booster.  You'll need to completely remove the booster.  There are eight bolts holding it on and you know they are hard to get to.  In the course of this procedure, you will have to remove the master cylinder.  Be prepared for some issues with bleeding the system when you re-install it.  In my experience, it is next to impossible to power bleed a 1958 with the original MC, although some people have suggested some ingenious ways to do it.  One way is to get a spare top for the MC - easier said than done in itself - and drill a hole in it.  You then get a hose of some sort and feed fluid into it from a tank higher than the car, using gravity.

It all sounds very complicated and it is.  I know you are in California.  If you are anywhere near this place and they agree to do it, have it towed to them and let them do it.  Getting the parts off and then back on again is not for the faint of heart.  Bleeding the system is very, very difficult.

Warning. I'll run hotter than a three dollar gun when someone who does not have a 57, 58 or 59 writes in to this list and says I am overstating the case in their lousy, inexperienced, stupid, opinion.  Unless you have done this job on this era of car, keep your, "I would think  . . . " opinions to yourself.  I wish you would think before you run right into the facts.  Trust me, I won't be subtle.

The brakes on this era of car can work very well when they are set up correctly and well maintained.  Setting them up is not easy.  Your average brake shop hardly has the tools to get the rear hubs off let alone bleed an almost impossible to access round topped single pot master cylinder.

Denis, I've had the pleasure of communicating with you before.  I'm glad you are getting the roof fixed on your beautiful car.  I hope your partner is well and is able to go with you on your trip.  I'm glad you don't need it to be ready till August.  You can relax and find a place that can get the brakes done right.

Hugh
1958 Imperial
(With more brake experience on this car than I care to think about.)