IML: Starter in a '66 Coupe

Went to pick up my '66 Imperial Crown Coupe after the tranny was rebuilt,
and it wouldn't start. Mechanic said perhaps the starter had  "a flat spot"
What does this mean? He suggested if that was the case then eventually I
would need to replace it. Now, my car is stock. And I'm guessing that a
rebuilding the stock starter will cost more than a modern replacement. Is
this a part I can rebuilt myself? What specifically might be the bad
component within the starter?