From: Pete Engel [mailto:peter.engel@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, May 02, 2005 3:27 PM
To: mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: IML: temp gauge shows overheating

Rich,

Wow, I'm glad you're not working on MY car!  Go for the EASY stuff first.

I'll bet that your temp sending unit is the culprit and it's easy to check.
When the rubber molded plug is disconnected from the sender the gauge will
drop to cold.  When you ground the metal terminal inside the molded plug the
gauge will peg at hot.  Don't keep the connector grounded for more than 15
seconds or so.

Years of hot/cold cycles and some corrosion inside the sending unit are
probably causing the guts to short to ground periodically.  I've seen the
sending units get pretty crusty at the threaded terminal and that's a sign
that all is not well.

You can get away with replacing the sender WITHOUT draining any coolant.
Loosen the sender and unscrew it almost all the way out.  Then squeeze the
upper radiator hose closed, remove the radiator car, reinstall it, and
release the hose.  If you quickly unscrew the sending unit and get the new
one in place there will be little or no coolant loss.

Pete in PA