Sent: Monday, May 02, 2005 3:32 PM
Subject: Re: IML: 60 build quality vs 57

In a message dated 5/2/2005 3:29:55 PM Eastern Standard Time, kss37215@xxxxxxxx writes:
I can't believe that this is 2005 and we are still hearing about how bad Imperials were in the late 50's!   I bought a 58 Imperial coupe in 1959 and had no major problem with it at all.  Having "been there" gives one a different perspective of the time.  As it is today with most "journalists" in the back pocket of leftist politicians, the 50's was a time of blatant payola on every front.

I am glad you had good luck with your 1958.  My experience with a 1957 (it was my fathers car) was not as rosy and from what I have read more typical of Chrysler product owners of that period.  I will not list the problems as they were documented in a previous post but were generic to the basic design and I am sure many owners had the same problems.  The bottom line is that owner satisfaction was extremely low and no doubt had a very negative impact on the future sales of Imperial.

Don Dickinson
Prospect, KY

1955 Imperial Newport, Canyon Tan and Desert Sand
1967 Imperial Custom Convertible, Ivory and Burgundy