RE: IML: Breaking in a Rebuilt 413 - '59 Imperial

RE: IML: Breaking in a Rebuilt 413 - '59 Imperial

> Anybody on the list have recommendations about using
> synthetic oil in a newly rebuilt engine?
> Also what would be a good approach for breaking in the engine
> regardless of what oil I use? If I drive it home from the
> restoration shop it will be a trip of about 500 miles.

I would not use synthetic on a new engine.  After the first couple of
changes it will be great but you need regular dino oil for the first couple
thousand miles.  I wouldn't think you would spin a bearing but regular oil
will help the rings to seat properly.

The most important part of the break in is the first 20 minutes.  RPM should
be held above 2k for that time so that the cam and lifters break in
properly.  I don't really understand this one but it seems to be one of
those rules that is set in stone for all makes and motors.  Past that you
want varying load conditions on the motor.  I don't know if it's an old
wives tale or not but I have always heard that you don't want a new engine
subjected to a constant load like driving on the hiway for hours until after
it has broken in.

           Steve B.