Sent: Friday, May 27, 2005 8:38 AM
Subject: IML: Please Help with Frozen Nuts on a Shock Absorber

All:

I have been replacing the shock absorbers on our car and have one that just will not cooperate.

Long, greasy, dirty, gritty story made short: I got down to one rear air adjustable shock, the nut for which would NOT BUDGE off of the top bolt which attached to the frame near the gas tank (bottom bolts all came off fine). Anyway, surprisingly, I was able to get the bolt out from the other side so now I have an air adjustable shock off the car with the bolt attached to it and I can't get it off.

1. I have tried air tools, good old fashioned elbow grease, and pounding on it with a hammer. I have tried soaking the rusty nut in WD-40, Silicone lubricant, hell, I even tried soaking it in Marvel's Mystery Oil. I also tried tightening a bit before I try to loosen it, but the dern thing will not come loose. Are there any techniques I am NOT using that might help free up this rusty nut like applying heat or somesuch?

2. If I cannot get this rusty nut free from the mounting bolt, is there a source for this part? That is the bolt/nut/shaft assembly that fits one top rear shock absorber and attaches to the car frame. I have checked the site, I have checked the Whitney, Kanter, & Eastwood catalogues with no luck (lots of sources on shocks). Any ideas on a source for this part if I can't get it free from the dern shock?

Thanks everyone.

By the way, the information on the site about mounting shocks, buying shocks, using shocks, etc., was INCREDIBLY helpful!

--
Joe
Allen, Texas