Re: "hemi" vs. "wedge" -- was Re: IML: Fun Ride '67 Imperial with aHemi?

Re: "hemi" vs. "wedge" -- was Re: IML: Fun Ride '67 Imperial with aHemi?

Hello All;
 From what I can recall the 426 Max Wedge and Hemi were developed from a 413
block, in fact I believe that there was a 413 Max Wedge before the 426 MW.
The differences in the blocks would lie in the bottom end such as having the
bearing caps cross bolted and extra webbing in the blocks for reinforcement,
not including rods and piston sizes; other then that the major differences
would be in the top end. I Remember reading in a magazine once about someone
finding a Hemi car with B/RB heads bolted on apparently in an attempt to
improve fuel economy, obviously not possible if the block had nothing in
common with a 383/440. I also recall hearing about some aftermarket Hemi
heads and manifolds that would fit a 440 but don't ask me where you would
get them.
 The six cylinder hemi was never produced in North America, it was a product
of Chrysler of Australia. From what I remember it was originally developed
as a truck engine in Detroit, which is also why it has a higher displacement
then your typical /6. Detroit abandoned it, Chrysler of Australia adopted it
and added a semi Hemi head and dropped it in numerous Chrysler Valiants from
the late 60s until the early 80's. Consult back issues of Collectable
Automobile for further information.
Best Regards
Arran Foster
1954 Imperial Newport
Needing A Left Side Tailight Bezel and other trim parts.
1975 Chrysler Newport
Need To fix the eight track player.