Sent: Sunday, June 26, 2005 4:44 PM
To: mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: IML: 1973 Imperial Valve Job Questions

My 1973 Imperial with 151,000 miles has been running
poorly. Symptoms have included lack of power, rough
idle, excessively noisy and hot exhaust, and low
engine vacuum (10 to 12 inches of vacuum on the worst
of days).

Compression tests show 120psi for cylinder 1, 90psi
for cylinder 3, and inconsistent readings for cylinder
5 - which jumps anywhere from 60psi to 80psi. With
these readings, I didn't bother to test the remaining
cylinders given how difficult it is to access the
plugs on this car.

I believe that the symptoms and the tests show that
the Imperial has either sticky or burned valves. I am
unsure what to do next.

Would it be more economical to have a machine shop
rebuild the cylinder head, buy a replacement head, or
attempt the work myself? I have done a valve job on my
1950 DeSoto, but I suspect the Imperial 440 demands
more skill and pricier parts than the DeSoto Six.

I'm wondering, too, if I should just sell the car.
That, however, is a very sad thought.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dave Duricy
1973 Imperial LeBaron (The Ailing Monarch)
1968 Imperial Crown convertible (The Usurper)
1950 DeSoto Custom (The Witness)