Sent: Saturday, July 02, 2005 4:33 PM
Subject: IML: Weird restrictor in 75 Imperial rear disc MC reservoir

Recently, I converted a 78 Chrysler NYB St Regis coupe to 4 wheel disc brakes from a 75 Imperial.  One weird thing I noticed was a small brass restrictor that screwed into the rear disc (front) brake reservoir in the master cylinder. This restrictor greatly reduces the flow from the reservoir to the piston area.  The restrictor was only included on the original master cylinder I got off of the 75 Imperial.  Rebuilt master cylinders did not include it.  Can anyone tell me the purpose of this restrictor, and what the effects would be in not using it.  I will finish the conversion tomorrow and let the list know how it works.

I will also be using the Brake Guard pulsing system.  This is a Air/Hydraulic system that mounts between the outlet of the master cylinder and the lines to the proportioning valve.  I have used them on heavy cars and RV's before and found them to be quite effective.  There are a few law suits on them, but they work well for me on heavy cars.

Does anyone understand the purpose of this master cylinder reservoir restrictor?

Henry

Roswell, GA