From: Longramx2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 00:03:20 EDT
Subject: IML: 60-63 interior door handle breakage fix ?

--part1_89.2a480375.2ffcb208_boundary

Everybody who has owned a 60-63 imperial is probably aware of the problem
with the interior door handles breaking. I was pulling stuff off a 61 at a
junkyard last week and noticed that all four of the handles were broken on that one.
My blame for the problem is that the top of the handle is hollow and gets
real thin were it meets the stem, causeing it to flex, over time all the flexing
leads to breakage. My idea is to fill the hollowed top portion of the handle
with something. I believe that would stop the flexing, add strenth and save the
unbroken pieces that are left. I have considered lead, fiberglass resin, or
some sort of epoxy like maybe JB weld. As for the already broken handles
they're pretty much scrap metal, they're made of pot metal I believe, and cant be
welded as far as I know. I would like to hear some of your opinions on this
fix. Has anybody ever did this before ?