Re: IML: MOBILE ART Dietmar's 1960 Imperial site

Re: IML: MOBILE ART Dietmar's 1960 Imperial site

I think some of this is just lost in Dietmar's translation. For example, he
calls the roof moldings a "unique decklid." He also uses "unique" rather
sweepingly, so chalk it up to language. He speaks far better English than I
do German, so who am I to judge! But as for the "facts"...

1. Unless he has a later engine, it should be a 6.8-liter (413). Both the
stock engine and the 1966-67 440 were rated at 350 hp, so no clue there!

2. The only waterfall effect I can see in the front of a '60 is the bumper,
with the two upper bars cascading downward toward the license plate. The
grille is not a waterfall design. Rob, you are correct that a waterfall
grille is like a '74-75 Imperial (and '76-78 NYB). The compact LeBarons had
them starting in 1980 (waterfall parking lamps too!). You might call the
'81-83 Imperial grille a waterfall design, but to some purists the grille
bars need to start on the plane of the hood and cascade over, not just the
chrome cap above the bars.

3. The driver's seat is indeed taller than the front passenger's seat, kind
of an early budding head restraint. Note the three metal trim emmlems on the
driver's seat, versus one on the front passenger's. I know they called this
a "hightower seat" in some Chrysler divisions... Not sure about Imperial. It
has nothing to do with the swiveling, as both front seats could do this,
when so equipped.

I also doubt his car was assembled in Sweden as he states. That would be
news to me. Anyone know why he believes this to be the case?

Chris in LA
67 Crown
78 NYB Salon