Re: IML: N OR D

In a torqueflite ( 62 and later here ) none of the clutches are engaged in N. All of the packs are in the relaxed condition and theres no rotation in the packs or gear train going on when youre sitting at a stop light or stop sign.

I would not worry one bit about putting leaving it in D while sitting at a light, any slippage is going to happen in the torque converter at this point, since while youre sitting still the clutches or bands may indeed be engaged but again, NOTHING is turning inside the case.

As an aside, when its cold - say at the freezing point thereabout, starting in N and letting the pressure in the trans regulate before shifting into any gear is beneficial, as you avoid a harsh engagement into gear. Having said that, its probably not going to add years to an already near bulletproof trans, but its not going to hurt.

Mikey
62 Crown Coupe