From: darrell kershaw <darrells59imperial@yahoo.com>
Sent: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 20:48:19 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: IML: 8-track in imperials & originality

thanks, where can I find an FM converter?

Randy Martin <TheGreatImperialist@msn.com> wrote:
Darrell,
You stated;
"the reason I would like to have an 8track in the car is so that I can play music from 1959, I had thought about installing a CD changer in the trunk, but the only ones I have found must play through a factory FM radio or be hard wired into the factory speakers. I dont mind hacking at the wiring because some wiring will need repairs anyway. but im trying to keep the car as much original as possible."
Here's an idea that worked for me.  My car came with an AM only radio and I really wanted to listen to something other than news/talk stations.  I located and purchased an FM converter which allows your AM radio to receive FM stations (it plugs into the antenna line between the incoming antenna and the radio) and installed it under the dash so it was out of sight.  The installation only required two wires-power and ground.  Then, using a standard CD changer that played through an FM radio, I installed that under the front seat with the RF (antenna) connection going through the FM converter.  When I got done, I was able to play CD's with music of my choice through what appeared to be a stock AM radio.  A little bit of work to set it up, but it worked beautifully when I got done.
IMHO, listening to good music while enjoying our fine automobiles is always worth the effort.  Good Luck- I look forward to hearing your solution.
Randy