Re: IML: welding a crack in engine block?

Darrel If There is enough meat left I would try a heli-coil first. It's an insert with a new thread . That can be welded but you could have some problems re-tapping.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 3:39 PM
Subject: IML: welding a crack in engine block?

hello . it's been awhile , but im trying to get some much needed work done on my car, few weeks ago I found that some how one of the starter bolt holes is cracked and a small piece is missing, 1/2'' x 1/2'' jagged piece.
I have asked local machine shops but they only want to sell me a new engine. so I thought I would consult the imperial masters here on the IML.

my question is can the cast iron be welded?
or should I look around for a new engine?

plz tell me it can be welded and hold up, as I would much rather keep the original engine in the car if possible.

thanks for being there for a person when they have noone to turn to for help, the iml has always been there for me and I want to thank every single one , for making the iml what it is " a family".