Re: IML: classic car safety

I wasn't going to comment on the current seat-belt controversy, but I there are a few points that should be made. I'll preface this by disclosing that I'm an attorney and while much of this insurance - government regulation is our fault it also means that I get to look at reams of statistics on personal injuries if I so choose.

First, while lap belts might not be as helpful as 3 point belts they serve a vital function. They keep you in the car. It's a statistical fact that if you stay in the car you are MUCH more likely to survive a serious accident than if you are ejected from the vehicle. Even the lowly lap belt does that. For years people told stories about how seat belts would trap you in the car and how smart people would never use them, I believe everybody knows this was an erroneous position. For Mike P. I'd advise you wear the lap belt. It's not going to guarantee your safety and hopefully it won't encourage you to drive more recklessly, but it will increase your chances of staying within the vehicle.

Second, while I agree that seat belt laws and helmet laws may be an invasion by our government it's a result of our current system. Right or wrong, either through medicare/aid or higher insurance premiums we subsidize those that are injured and therefore it is in the interests of the general public to keep everyone from getting a serious injury.

Third, if you have safety equipment available to you, such as seat belts and you fail to utilize it you will have your award reduced. In NY they will reduce your award by the difference of the injury received compared to the injury that might have been received if belts were worn. That standard can lead to some really expensive engineer reports to determine the values. What it amounts to in your small cases is that every plaintiff claims they wore the belt even if they obviously didn't. For example their head hit the windshield. In other states they may forego any payout if you don't wear the belts.

Rob

PS: Thanks Elijah for explaining how a weak motor can make one side of the headlight doors droopy. Don't want to clutter the list with a seat belt post AND a thank you.