RE: IML: So? Anyone know where to find a starter?

RE: IML: So? Anyone know where to find a starter?

Joe,

Sorry if I'm coming in too late on this, but....

Can you tell if the whole starter is spinning but not engaging?  Could be the solenoid, but it could be that the starter is just not quite correctly seated.  I let the dust cover get in the way once on my 68 Imperial, and spent a couple of hours trying to decide why my known good starter wouldn't work.  Was it good and tight when you removed it?  Did it fail all at once, or did it gradually get worse and worse?

Did the Chrysler starter not fit, or did it just vary in appearance?  I don't know the earlier cars, but I know from my smaller MOPARs that starters from a 440 Imperial fit a 340 Barracuda, a 318 Valiant, or a slant six Dart.  Some variation in size, but they fit.  Even the newer lightweight Mitsubishi starters on the Dakota pickups interchange.

And if you do have to replace your starter, you will probably find that a local automotive electrical shop can rebuild yours and give you a better product than an off-the-shelf starter for similar or less expense.  I've had poor work done, but usually it's a good way to go, especially if you keep it as original as possible.

Good luck; let us know what you find.

Michael