Re: IML: Fuselage Era cars - 69-71 as only Fuselages a tough sell

Re: IML: Fuselage Era cars - 69-71 as only Fuselages a tough sell

--- Mark McDonald <tomswift@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 in
> my opinion, the fuselage era only lasted for three
model years,1969, 1970, and 1971.
> After that, the Imperial was redesigned and lost the
> curved cross-sectional look associated with the
previous three years.  Some people like to think of
this period as "2nd generation fuselage," but
> there really is no mention of this term in any
> Chrysler literature that I'm aware of.  If you look
at a '73 next to a '69 there is very little
resemblance between the two.

Ummm.  you're entitled.

I have a 1970 and a 1973.

Park them next to each other.  They seem more similar
than different in overall feel until I start comapring
details.  I'm sorta bummed that its dark right now, or
I'd go out and take a close look and go farther with
this because I've been working on that 1962 like mad
this week.  (engine's done and in - just got to
reconnect and fire it up).

The front glass for 1970 to 1973 interchanges, so
perhaps the assertion that the tumblehome is different
in 72-73 isn't quite as solid as can be?  The front
glass defines the tumblehome as the A pillars are
parallel to the glass shape?

The 1970 has what seem to be "flatter" or more slab
sideed, where the 1973 seems more curved?  This
statement from memory...  I "think" that the
tumbleunder on my 73 is more pronounced, not less.

70 has higher chrome on the front end, the 73 lower -
look at how the hood flares downward and the lower
bumper bar is thinner than the 1970.

Rear quarters are almost identical until you look at
the crease right behind the C pillar, and it's in a
different place.

All subtle differences.

The 1970 seems to have considerably more forceful
pickup under its gas pedal, and it was made within a
few months of my own birthday, so I do like it a
"little" better, although the 1973 is a higher
mileage, lower compression, smog car.

I also co-own a 1972 with Pauline, and it took me a
month of wrenching on it to notice that it does not
have wing windows, and unusual feature considering
that they were a defacto design element on every other
postwar Imperial that I've come to know (no, I'm not
personally counting post 1973, as that's not my bag.

My vote would go to all 5 years being Fuselage, but I
guess that you could make an argument either way.

-So what DOES one call 64-66?

64-66 are Engel cars to me (patently ignoring the fact
that he designed later ones, too - they were his first
stamp on the company).  What he was thinking by
putting a car-wide aircraft propellor shape into the
back bumper is beyond me, although it works.

67-68?
The Haze Green Era? (I like that quite a bit!)

Since nobody else has named those, aren't we, as the
carriers of the torch entitled some licence?

Kenyon Wills