RE: IML: polarizing

Mikey,

That was me.  I've learned bits and pieces here and there, and generally
eventually get things right.  I've fought electrical problems on my 55
DeSoto, and 62 Olds Cutlass, and I guess the need for polarizing stuck.  I
probably learned that by NOT doing it.  Makes sense to me that with an
alternator, you would not need to.

Anyway, sorry for the bad advice on that one.  Thanks for straightening it
out.

Michael

Today there was a reference to polarizing in regards to a problem with a 69
Imperial.  It is not necessary or recommended to polarize an alternator or
voltage regulator on a car equipped with an alternator.  This was a
generator car requirement.  You wont find any reference to polarizing an
alternator equipped car in the FSM or other literature.  Having said that,
its true that polarity is important in reference to hooking up wiring and
such, and the point style regulators do usually have a notation for what
wire is hooked to the field and which wire is hooked to battery + voltage.