Re: IML: How COOL is that?

>Subject: Re: IML: How COOL is that?
>
> 2.  I find I can test the thermo-clutch fan by starting the car and
allowing
> it to warm up at idle.  You should be able to detect the fan increasing in
> speed as the engine gets warm.  The fan will blow much more air past the
> engine when the clutch is engaged.  You should be able to find a
replacement
> clutch easily.  Measure the length of the clutch from water pump to fan.
You
> won't have to replace the fan with the clutch.

   If you're a bit of a knucklehead (like me!), another way you can test if
the fan clutch is working is to wait until the engine's good and warm, leave
it running, put on a heavy leather glove, and see if you can slow down or
stop the fan by putting your gloved hand against the flat of the blades.
This should only be done from the *back* of the fan, and your hand has to go
*flat against* the back of the blades, _not_ *in* the fan. You could
practice first at home with a plastic, non-oscillating fan before doing
something that can get you all mangled if you do it wrong.  If you can slow
or stop the fan, the clutch is shot.  Obviously, this is perhaps not the
most clever technique, but I've done it many times w/o mishap.

   Another thing to check, is with the engine off, see if you can 'wiggle'
the fan front to back. If it wiggles at the clutch, chances are it's shot.

   Is the engine dirty? I've found that a clean engine can net an easy 10-15
degrees.

   The thermostat might be starting to stick, too. On the bright side, the
radiator probably isn't full of deposits; that usually results in highway
operation hotter than city operation.

       -Kle.
       '69 Crown 4DHT