IML: Please Welcome Jim Smith

New Subscriber(s): Jim Smith
Email Address is: smitydog2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Member Location: Chicago ILL

Car(s) owned: I use to own a '81 and '82 Imperials

Self-Introduction: Hello,
I've been a fan of Chrysler products since the age of 6 when my dad
purchased a '60 Chrysler New Yorker.  Because of that car, I fell in love
with Chryslers.  Growing up during the '60's, I started to collect
promotional model cars and new car auto literature.  I still have all my
promo models and new car auto literature since the late '60's  (Thanks mom
for not tossing out my "plastic and paper" collection.) Today I'm still
collecting automobilia.  My first Chrysler product was a 1970 chrysler 300
convertible which I bought in 1978 and still own today. However,I always
loved Imperials.  I can recall seeing the "finned" Imperials running around
the streets of Chicago in the '60's and can recall going to Santa Fe
racetrack in Willow Springs ILL on a hot summers night in 1968 to see a demo
durby race with a 1958 Ghia limo being destroyed. (the track announcer told
the crowd that the Ghia was indeed a rare car with a total production on
only 16. Being 10 at the time, I knew that part of automotive history was
passing with that Ghia limo) Attending every Chicago autoshow since 1969, I
always made it a point to sit behind the wheel of a new Imperial.  (it was
always fun to tilt and telescope the streeing wheel). I was sadden to see
the final Imperial be put to rest in the 1975 model year.  But when the
"new" Chrysler corporation came out with the '81's, I fell head over heals
on it.  I loved those '81-83's so much that I toured the Windsor plant in
December of 1981.  I also wrote an article on the '81-83 Imperials in the
Walter P. Chrysler club magazine in 1992.  One day again, I hope to own ano
Sincerely, Jim Smith