Re: IML: '66 LeBaron build sheet location?

Re: IML: '66 LeBaron build sheet location?

Production broadcast sheets were used to help assembly workers determine
which parts were used on a car.  They were attached to assembled components
to identify which component belonged to which car.   In the 1960's the
Shipping Order Number was used as the identifying number - it appeared on
the broadcast sheet, the data tag, the car body and the build record.

Thus the sheet was found attached to the spring side of the seats (they were
built in another plant),  instrument panel assemblies (they were assembled
on a sub-line and installed complete), back of carpets, trunk liners, etc.
Which is why, when you look at a later sheet that records the date and time
the sheet was printed, you find sheets with different print times.   On a
vehicle that is destined for the sales bank, it is interesting to compare
the sheets.  The options on the car may vary as time progresses.  I owned a
1972 Dodge Dart destined for the sales bank, and by the time the last sheet
was printed (and the car built), it had lost its whitewall tires, wheel
covers and radio (which were all optional equipment).

If you were to watch a car being built, there would have been one taped to
the front fender where the assembly worker would choose the correct torsion
bars, shock absorbers, etc. to install.

That being said, there is no guarantee that some assembly worker didn't toss
the sheet in the garbage when installing the seats or whatever part.  Or the
sheet fell off the component as it was being installed.  Or they had been
removed by some previous owner or dealer when working on the car.  Which is
why you do not always find broadcast sheets thirty to forty years after the
car was built.

Your data tag will have the majority of the equipment installed on a car.
Or, as you have a car built before 1967, you can order a copy of the build
order from DaimlerChrysler Historical for $45.  It is the final printout of
the car's computer recording as it was produced after the car was shipped
from the factory.  Which is why it has the shpping date and the dealer it
was shipped to (if it was not a sales bank car).

Bill
Vancouver, BC