IML: Ill Fitting Ex Manifold

I've had broken exhaust manifold studs that have lead to leaks developing. Upon visual inspection, one particular stud w/nut didn't look broken but when I put a wrench to it, it revealed the absence of it's engineered intent, and fell right out. It seems a common trouble. Eventually, the manifold develops a crack. It is preventative maintenence to replace the studs and nuts every score of years.
One more thing to put on my to-do list.

Eric
Portland, Oregon
Dave,

It is at least as likely that you have a cracked manifold, or just a loose
bolt or two.  I had to occasionally tighten the exhaust manifold bolts on my
72 New Yorker, passenger side, to keep it sealed.  It never led to anything
worse.  Worth a try - at least it would be if on the passenger side.