RE: IML: convertible top motor

i hope i can get some help with this as it is my 54
windsor conv and not my 53 imperial.the car sat for 20
years and the fluid in the reservoir of the top motor
leaked into the electrical motor. supposedly the top
went up/down with this motor when it was parked. i
have taken it all apart and everything is there and
not corroded. i cleaned the commutator but it does not
work and did not work at all even when first tried. i
have a feeling the brushes are bad after sitting in
brake fluid for years but they do show continuity. i
hate to send it out for what will be an expensive
repair if it is something that i can check and fix
myself. hoping for the usual great input from the
members.  dennis  53 imperial,  54 windsor convertible