Re: IML: brake cable

The driveshaft parking brake of your Imperial is
similar to the parking brake of my '50 DeSoto. Judging
from my experience with the DeSoto, it is entirely
possible that the emergency brake of your Imperial
only needs a minor adjustment.

Consult your service manual. You should find mention
of adjustments that can either take up slack in the
cable, or compensate for wear in the parking brake
shoes.

After many years of off the road, the DeSoto's parking
brake had lost some of its grip. The car would drift
down hill even with the parking brake lever fully
extended. Now, after a bit wrenching that involved no
new parts, my DeSoto parking brake holds with
confidence on grades.

Frankly, I recommend that you not leave your Imperial
unattended with the inspectors. The car is unusual,
and I doubt that the inspectors fully appreciate how
it works. It's a situation ripe for misdiagnosis or
damage to your car.

Good Luck!
Dave Duricy