Re: IML: License Plates in California

 Thanks Kenyon!, by the way, the car is comig from out of state.
Thanks much!
Dan
---- Kenyon Wills <imperialist1960@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

=============
There are such plates, but they are generally for much
older cars.

The one thing to be aware of in CA is that the DMV
likes to confiscate old plates and issue new ones.  If
you buy a car that has its original plates (blue,
black, yellow), you'll be ahead if you remove them and
report them "lost", as in "the car came to me without
plates".  They will then issue the same new plate that
you would have gotten otherwise and you hang onto the
old original plates.

At some point later, you can get the original plates
(or others that are correct for your car) - On the
condition that those plates are not in the DMV
database as registered to another car.

Therefore if you report your originals as stolen, it
may take a period of time for them to drop out of the
DMV's system before you can activate them again.

There is a classic or parade car thing, but they have
terribly strict rules on use and mileage and so forth.
 Better off not bothering, I would suspect?  I'm sure
others will chime in with better info on that.

--- dansgarage@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi All....I guess this question is for those members
> in California.....being relatively new here, can
> someone tell me if there is such a thing in CA as
> "antique" plates ? and if so, how old the vehicle
> has to be to qualify? back in NJ I didn't have to
> get the car inspected and only paid Registration
> every 4 years, also any car over 25 years old was
> considered a "antique" and got special
> consideration, special rates. etc.....anyone who has
> experience here in California with registering a
> 1966 Imperial PLEASE email me
> (dansgarage@xxxxxxxxxxxx) so I can at least go into
> the DMV with some understanding as to how they are
> going to mess things up before hand.
> Thanks all!!!!
> Dan Melnik

> response will be