Re: IML: Remove stainless roof panels from 60 LaBaron

Re: IML: Remove stainless roof panels from 60 LaBaron

I had a '60 LeBaron with the stainless panels spot welded to the roof.  Anyone else run across that?  On my Crown and second LeBaron, the panels were just held in by the moldings.  Pick up the inside edge and rock the stainless panels up towards you and they should roll out from under the drip rails.  There is usually treated fabric insulation used to prevent ratttling and trap moisture as well!  I think I will go back with vinyl porch screen and then silicone the top edge under the spear leaving the lower edges open to breath.  I have removed drip rails as well.  They can be pushed off from the bottom using blocks of wood and a hammer.  Don't pry on them as I distorted a pair that way.  I had rust that neccessitated removing them.  Do it at your own risk, helps if you have a parts car to practice on.

Richard Burgess
'60 LeBaron
'60 Crown

Kenyon Wills <imperialist1960@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
They will come out without heat or tools. Mine get
fingers under the edge on the edge facing the center
of the roof and were pried upwards and they just came
out.

Be careful with the drip-rail stainless. I am unable
to get mine off and the rail has a wave in it that I
doubt that I'll ever get out to my satisfaction.

There was a lot of rust under the stainless panels.
There could be junk under there that is preventing
removal?

-Kenyon

--- Tom & Kellie Willson
wrote:

> I am trying to remove the stainless roof panels.
> I have removed all trim around the panel except for
> the chrome drip
> molding over the doors. The stainless panel appears
> to have a lip hooked
> under the drip molding.
> I can not move either the drip molding or the
> stainless panel.
> Are they held in place with a sealant? Would heat
> be helpful?
> What would you suggest?
> Tom

> response will be