Re: IML: Old License Plates in California

Re: IML: Old License Plates in California

It makes a difference if your car is still in the DMV's computer system.  My coupe has not been registered for 30 years and still has original plates.  There was no discussion of surrendering them and having modern plates issued.  The desk technician said in addition to having my VIN validated by the highway patrol, I must allow the DMV to inspect the plates to determine if they are the actual ones issued by the state.

That, apparently, is the problem, and relates to why historic plate restorers/reproducers can't ship to this state.  There is such a glut of bogus plates that validation is required.

They can have my black plates when they pry them from my cold, dead fingers.  I'm going to make a special trip to Sacramento and not let them out of my sight while they're certified.

Regarding Dan's situation, getting authentic black plates on an out-of-state '66 appears to be out of the question, since it's newer than '62.  Even if you go the vanity plate route in the proper format using S or T as the first letter and then repaint it, the vintage plates have raised letters that are different than the modern ones.

Happy motoring,

Happy motoring,

David

'91 K-Imperial driver
'66 Crown Coupe project
'66 LeBaron dual air and every option known to man