IML: Getting plates for my '66 in Calif.

IML: Getting plates for my '66 in Calif.

 Hi bOB!...I read your email reply with a smaile also, for different reasons though. Living in Beaumont, CA that same Banning office is where I would normally have to go!!........maybe I need to go to a different office where the employees can at least do 'math'!
thanks a lot for all the replies from the IML! I am going to the DMV/AAA this afternoon and we'll see what I can find out.
Than ks again all!!
Dan Melnik
---- Bob Smith <limoguy1950@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

=============
When I had my Barracuda licensed with historical plates, it was in 1994 and a smog certification was not required.  Otherwise, there would be no advantage to getting historical plates, especially since it was a one time charge of $25 and a yearly fee, just like non historical registration.  The law might have been changed since that time but that was my reason for plating it so.

An interesting sideline joke was that when I went to the Banning DMV, the clerk didn't seem to know anything about historical plates so she called her supervisor.  He glanced at the title and said 'but the car has to be 25 years old.'  I said 'look again at the title, then do the math.  It's 27 years old.  With a sheepish grin, he told the clerk to go ahead and process it.

I still have the plate.

Bob

Christopher H <imperial67@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I am not aware of any CA law that allows a car to be exempt from smog
certification because it has historical plates.

No smog check is required for cars from 1975 or older. This is no longer a
rolling "25 years old"... for now, it is stuck at 1975. But that is why
Bob's '67 Barracuda was exempt. It had nothing to do with his antique
license plates, except that being 25 years old made the car eligible for
both the plates and the smog exemption.

According to the California DMV, "historical plates are issued, upon
request, for motor vehicles manufactured after 1922 which are at least 25
years old and of historic interest." The vehicle is, according to the
vehicle code, of historic interest if "it is collected, restored,
maintained, and operated by a collector or hobbyist principally for purposes
of exhibition and historic vehicle club activities."

Therefore, it would seem that a car built between 1976 and 1980 is eligible
for historical plates but still required to pass Smog Check. And that
"non-parade" use is OK for maintenance drives and such but that using one
for a daily driver is not actually allowed, so do so at your own risk!

FYI, I successfully reattached the original black plates to my '67 Imperial
after it had been re-plated no fewer than three times. Thankfully, I had
original registrations proving these were the original plate number, the car
has never left CA, and I am only the second owner.

Chris in LA
67 Crown
78 NYB Salon