Re: IML: Imperial Heaven/autobox problems 1960 crown

Re: IML: Imperial Heaven/autobox problems 1960 crown

Hi all, I have been trying to find a trans oil leak on my 58 crown coupe,
The oil level seemed all over the place & so was the oil, I couldn't see where exactly how it got all over pan & level tube.
The other strange thing is it looked like it was also running down LH chassis rail & soaking the steering idler bush (now buggered).
So I kept on washing down all areas & filling only for it to dump all its new oil, hmmmm
So , I gave this alot of thought, hmmmm, the trans behaved like it had no oil, shudder in 1st & R on take off & sometimes no top, hmmmm.
I then set up the car way up off the ground & simulated a drive from stone cold , then even before I could get under the car it dumped about a cup of oil , hmmmmm.
After studying the pattern & looking at the design of? the filler tube I came to the conclusion THE BLOODY BREATHER WAS BLOCKED.
The expansion of the oil & temp blew all the oil out of the sump up the tube because its below the normal level !!!!!
I managed to pry the cap off the breather on top of the tail housing & poke a thin screw driver in the hole till I could feel the?gasket & then pushed a bit more & burst threw,
wriggled it around, FIXED.
I suspect the?gasket between the main & tail housing has had the vent hole in the?gasket omitted for some reason, ???
Now I have no leaks , can tell if level is correct, & best of all trans shifts & behaves perfectly, I was expecting to have to rebuild it but could not get a kit for it here in
Australia.
A trap for young players, I hope this story helps some one who might just have the same gasket.
Thanks , Peter J. Baikie.