Re: IML: Torque Converter Question (A-727)

Re: IML: Torque Converter Question (A-727)

Ken, Not having comparable transmissions in front of me, I nonetheless have parts books for 1965,1967, 1969, 1972. For each of these years, the part numbers for the reaction shaft with support, the input shaft, and the torque converters are all different with respect to each year!!! The 1965 still has the Cable Shift and a rear oil pump, along with a  413 in front of it, the 1966 ELIMINATED the rear pump and went to cable linkage, so I suspect that 1966 THRU 1968 SHOULD be the same IF they ALL CAME FROM AN IMPERIAL or NEW YORKER, BUT don't forget that we are into the High Performance Years, so ALL BETS ARE OFF!!! So many torqueflites have been removed and jostled into corners in favor of motor swaps that most people don't keep track of What went to WHUT?! From your question I am assuming that you were doing Just a transmission swap but wanted to keep the same converter. As you can see, you may not be able to do this. One last note: I removed my transmission several years back and had it rebuilt. I then reinstalled it and it Ran GREAT ( for the first 100 miles or so!). All of a sudden I started getting a rapping  sound which got worse, sounded like something was loose....IT WAS!!! The FLEX Plate bolts had backed out and 1 was hitting the engine block. You MUST USE a THREAD LOCKING compound on the plate to converter bolts. A removable (not permanent) compound will work just fine, but the threads have to be clean...they even make a primer to be sprayed on the threads first. Loctite was the brand I had used. Good luck!!!

--
Mike Veronesi
Member of the

I purchased a transmission from Phil Juliano for my '68 Crown. Phil does know his stuff. The transmission was marked 1968 and came with a torque converter.

When we were installing the transmission, a friend's brother, who is a mechanic, was having difficultly getting the torque converter to lock into place on the input shaft. He called in a transmission shop owner he knows. This guy checked it out and claims I have a 1966 transmission with a ninteen spline hub and a 1968 transmission with twenty splines.

Does this sound correct? Even if this is a '66 Tranny, I was under the impression all '65 & up standard duty A-727s for passenger car use used the same spline count.

Comments?