From: "Bill Watson" <wwatson5@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: IML: 1959 Imperial 413 Question
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 03:19:11 -0800

The 1959 engine number is stamped on the top of the engine block behind the
water pump.

There are a number of errors for the engine numbers from 1959.  First, at no
time did Chrysler stamp "Y" into the engine number for an Imperial.  There
is no way to tell into which car an engine was installed after 1958.

For Imperial engine number prefixes,. starting 1959 :
1959 : MR41-
1960 : P41-
1961 : R41-
1962 : S41-
1963 : T41-
1964 : V41-
1965 : A413-
1966 : B440-
1967 : C440-
1968 : D440-
1969 : F440-
1970 : G440-

The prefix was followed by month/day the engine was assembled.  There may
also be special codes stamped for variations in cylinder bores, crankshaft
journals, compression, performance or special use.

<snip>