RE: IML: Gauges , fuel, quick check

All,

I think I'm not the only one with troublesome gauges.  Actually, I think anyone with an older MOPAR has troublesome gauges, or is incredibly lucky.

But anyway, from memory, the resistance on the fuel sender (from the electrical connection to ground) should read in the approximate range of 7-70 ohms.  Lower resistance at full, closer to 70 ohms at empty.  That is certainly the easiest way to check the sender.  While under there, check for voltage at the wire you must remove from the connector on the sender.  Should see about 5V (at least for the later 60's and 70's).   Those readings go a long way toward isolating the point of failure.

While there, check to ensure that the ground strap from tank to metal (to the fuel line on all I've ever seen) is in place and providing ground.

Michael