RE: IML: Re:1959 update & Kerry Pinkerton?

I am more worried about tomorrow’s sunrise than I would be about a 413 properly rebuilt lasting 40 years in a passenger car properly maintained.  This engine is right up there with the S6 and 318 as far as reliability goes.

Henry

Sent: Friday, December 30, 2005 7:33 AM
To: mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: IML: Re:1959 update & Kerry Pinkerton?

you'r right. I wasnt thinking that much about it.

the 413 will go back into the car as soon as I get the body work done and putt back on the frame. the engine is just mounted in the frame temporary so that I could run it. it will be pulled off so there wont be any accidents if the body were to fall or shift while lowering it onto the frame.

as for wanting to use a crate engine thats was an Idea that I had as a way to help preserve the 413. who knows maybe I'll get lucky and find a good spare 413 for sale somewhere. and a spare trans, why heck might as well make it a spare parts car, but wait a minute I would be to attempted on restoring it to. and be back in the same boat im in. I guess there's no way you can drive them and preserve them at the same time.

more or less the car will have the 413 and all original 1959 parts on the car as I drive it and with my fingers crossed it will last for anouther 40+ years.

thanks guy's/gal's

David Whitney <hazegreen66@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I also do not understand the value of taking a perfectly good running 413 out and putting a crate motor in only to reinstall the 413 for shows.  While the engine blocks interchange just fine, the transmissions are shaped differently and require different mounts.  Your existing transmission is a cable shifter, which means you are restricting yourself to a '62 through '65 aluminum body torqueflite.  I hope your crate motor is internally balanced, because all those transmissions require it of the engine.  Did I mention you'll need to change the length of your drive shaft?  In addition, the crate motor wiring is different enough that it's not a question of disconnecting and reconnecting.  Your crate motor will likely have a different starter/alternator (assuming that your original engine even has an alternator).  It may even have electronic ignition.  Then there are the sensors for the gauges and speedometer -- guaranteed different.  A modern crate motor vs. a vintage 413 is not a swap, it's an upgrade that's not easily uninstalled.

Maybe you need another car for your crate motor and only bring the '59 out for shows.

Happy motoring,

David

'91 K-Imperial driver
'66 Crown Coupe project
'66 LeBaron dual air and every option known to man

Yahoo! Shopping