From: jsadowski
Subject: Re: IML: "pouring it out on the back hillside"
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 21:57:45 -0700

Vinegar can be used as a weed killer, so be
sure not to pour it near any plants you wish to
keep healthy.
John
----- Original Message ----- From: "Kenyon Wills"
Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2005 3:14 PM

> Pouring several gallons of vinegar into the
> ground in the back yard isn't going to do any
> harm, I'm thinking.
>
> The sludge is oxidized rust, and it's a
> mineral, not dissolved grease/oil or
> anything, and once exposed to air again, it
> just starts rusting away again, returning to
> its base elements or whatever it is that
> rust does with itself when it is done
> rusting. One 12 gallon load lasts 2-4 years
> at the rate that i'm going, although I'm
> really tempted to try Dick's 55-gallon
> molasses in a drum process.
>
> Betcha molasses isn't hard on dirt or the
> water table, either. It isn't a chemical.
>
> I don't toss anything else out that way, if that's any consolation.
>
> -K
>
> Christopher H
> wrote:Re: IML: "pouring it out on the back
> hillside" Kenyon,
>
> Anything you dump into the ground eventually
> works its way into the water table. Your
> city should be able to direct you to a proper
> disposal site, and some cities and towns
> even pick up hazardous waste alongside your
> regular trash with nothing more than a phone
> call to ask them.
>
> Chris in LA
>

> On 12/29/05 10:08 AM, Kenyon Wills at imperialist1960@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> "A. Foster" wrote:
> If you want to strip fast, muriatic
> acid works good as well, it strips rust in
> minutes instead of days.
>

> Is muriatic acid caustic or dangerous? Is
> it OK for skin, or does it require special
> handling?
>
> I have been in the habit of taking the
> used vinegar and rust-sludge and pouring it
> out on the back hillside, figuring that it
> wasn't an environmental danger. How does one
> dispose of muriatic acid when it's used up?
>

> Kenyon Wills
>

> Kenyon Wills

This message was sent to you by the Imperial
Mailing List. Please reply to
mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and your response
will be shared with everyone. Private messages
(and attachments) for the