Re: IML: re. Disc V Drum Brakes

Hi Tony...where did you get the M/C from that you used on your Imperial brake system?
Dan
---- Lib596@xxxxxxx wrote:

=============
Whilst I have no reason to doubt the theory behind Dicks description  of the
physics I still have to say that from a purely practical point  of view, the
disc brake / dual M/C conversion  on my '61 has made a  distinct improvement in
the braking characteristics of the car. It is  not only the shorter stopping
distance but the feel and sensitivity of the pedal  which has improved.

Now I will freely admit that by the time I did the conversion, I had
developed serious hot spots on the front drums which did nothing to improve  their
stopping power. In addition, the improved sensitivity may be  partly due to the
new M/C but even when the drums were perfect and all four  wheels were quite
capable of locking up, there is no doubt in my mind that the  discs have been a
major improvement. There seems to be more to braking than  simple friction.
It is about how the car handles under sharp deceleration.  Perhaps some of this
improvement arises from the necessary addition of a  proportioning valve that
governs the pressure ratio between the front and rear  brakes.

Apart from the improved braking characteristics, the other advantage is
simpler maintenence. No more painstaking adjustments and fiddly bleeding. On the
downside, the dust from the pads turns your white wall tyres into gray walls
in  no time at all. Easy enough to clean but annoying all the same.

Just some observations from someone who has direct experience of both  drums
and discs.

Best wishes,

Tony V.