Re: IML: Adding A Spare Pair to Rotor Count 67-69

although it may seem silly an extra pair sold with the car may be a plus for resale.when i sold my 68 convertible ,which i loved, i would hesitate buying another knowing the difficult time i would have if i needed them. if it came with a pair of rotors(even if they were included in a higher price) i would consider it again.i love a 65 but they had a plastic rear window so the 67,68 are the only ones with glass
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, February 27, 2006 9:17 AM
Subject: IML: Adding A Spare Pair to Rotor Count 67-69

While adding a spare set of these is a great idea, in my case and probably most other folks, this would be expensive insurance. The pair on my car now are in good shape. If they are made, the new pair will reside in a box in the garage until such time as my car might need brakes, I purchase another '68 Imperial that needs front brake rotors, or I later pass them along to another desperate owner of that era Imperial. If they ever actually got installed on my car, the new rotors would never get enough use, at least from me, to wear them out.

In all of my years of driving disc brake equipped cars, I have only replaced one pair of rotors on a 1980 Lincoln Continental with tons of miles on it. It seems that if the brakes are maintained properly, and I am lucky enough to not over heat them during too many panic stops (which are rare), a good pair last nearly a lifetime. Come to think of it, it was seldom necessary to replace drums on my older cars systems. This was usually due to a previous owner allowing the shoes to become worn to the point of ruining the drums prior to having a brake job. For me, checking the brakes regularly has kept this from becoming a problem on the cars that I own.

Not stocking an extra pair for me is close to the same reason why they aren't being made anymore in the first place. The investment for something that is going to most likely sit on a shelf for 20 years (or forever) is too great, at least in the current bantered about price range.

Paul W.