Re: IML: Window Motor Repair

Hi Brad, Thanks for your detailed instructions, I appreciate you talking me through this. The door I am working on is the front drivers door. Thanks, Tom

----- Original Message ----- From: "Brad Hogg" <luxoliner@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, March 05, 2006 9:37 AM
Subject: Re: IML: Window Motor Repair

Tom.  Is this a front door or a back door?  The back doors are easier than
the front.

Here's what you need to do...

Do all of this with the door open.
Remove the door lock plunger, it simply threads onto the shaft.
Remove the two little wood grain inserts from the ends of the pull strap on
the upper part of the door. Use a flat screwdriver to pry them out from the
outboard ends.
Remove the two screws that hold the pull strap on.
Using a large blade flat screwdriver (or the correct door panel removal
tool) locate the two metal clips that hold the bottom edge of the upper door
panel to the door. Pry these out. Be carefeul to pry only on the clip
because if you pry on the door panel material you may tear the clip from the
door panel. The metal clips should stay with the door panel. If you do
tear that clip out, all is not lost...deal with it later.
Pull the top part of the door panel up and off the door.
Remove the two small bolts that hold the wood gran door handle on. Use a
large screwdriver to wedge the door handle open while you remove these two
bolts.
Using a large blade flat screwdriver (or the correct door panel removal
tool) locate all the little metal clips along the front, rear, and bottom
endges of the door panel. Remove all these clips as described above.
Remove the two large head phillips screwes along the top edge of the lower
dor panel.
At this point, I like to remove the one phillips screw that holds in the
window controls etc. and pull that control panel up and then turn it a
little and push it back down into the hole it came out of. This way you
don't have to try to disconnect it and you will still have control of the
window motor.
If this is the driver's door, remove the ring that holds the remove mirror
control to the door panel and push the control down into the door panel.
This ring just threads on. Needle nosed pliers often are helpful here if
the ring is more than finger tight, which it needed not be.
Remove the lower door panel.
Remove the felt and the poly vapour barrier trying not to tear either one.
Run the window up all the way if it is not so at this point.

If this is a back door, remove the three bolts that hold the motor in and it
will fall into the bottom of the door. Retrieve the motor, disconnect the
electrical connection and take it to the bench for repair.

If this is a front door, Let me know and I'll continue with those
instructions.

For repairing the window motor gear system, refer to this article...
http://www.newyorkeronline.org/m-r/body/WindowMotor/index.htm

The parts you need for this repair can be purchased from this guy on eBay.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/CHRYSLER-NEW-YORKER-WINDOW-MOTOR-REPAIR-KIT_W0QQitemZ8042196352QQcategoryZ33706QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I understand they are available at other places but this is where I got
mine.  He sells them in threes because you need three per motor.

----- Original Message ----- From: <clgilleland@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, March 04, 2006 10:36 PM
Subject: IML: Window Motor Repair

I have a 74 Imperial, and bought a gear kit for the power window motor. The
motor runs but the window dosn't move. I have never had a door panel off a
car before and am not sure if I should take the car to a professional or
attempt this myself. I don't want to mess up the door panel on this
beautiful condition car. Also I have heard removing the window motor can be
dangerous, there is something under tension that cat take your head off. If
anybody has any experience with doing this job, please let me know what I am
up against. Thanks, Tom