Re: IML: 1960 serial number and first registration date

Re: IML: 1960 serial number and first registration date

As Paul stated, the black plates with yellow letters did not come to exist until 1963, when California changed the plate color (from black-on-yellow) and reissued new plates to all cars, starting with AAA000. They went through the C-plates (as in CZZ999) during the first year, so all the plate BKR834 tells us is that the car was registered in California during 1963. It won't tell you the original plate number it wore in 1960 nor the date it was first registered.

I don't see how can you know the information that your DMV is requesting, or how anyone could. On all my cars in California, the registration just says "00/00/XXXX" under "Date first sold" (with XXXX being 1967 for my 1967 car, 2001 for my 2001 Jeep, etc.). But the zeroes actually show up as zeroes on my registration, only the year is an actual number!

If you have proof that your car is a 1960 model, I wonder what else could they possibly need. Maybe you can email the DMV in CA and request the info from the plate number. They have a website: www.dmv.ca.gov

Chris in LA
67 Crown