From: Jeff Cantor <jcantor791@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 17:33:57 -0500
Subject: IML: Part Time Rough & Powerless '56

As those who have been following my posts over the last month or so know, I've been battling problems in rebuilding the carb on my '56. About three weeks ago I decided that there were too many wire gauges that I don't have that the chances of my getting all the adjustments correct on my Carter WCBF was nill so I took it in to a local shop that still does carb rebuilding. It did take them two tries to get things working but last Thursday I mounted the rebuilt unit on the engine and it started right up and idled very well.

Driving performance is definitely better than before any carb work was done but once hot, the engine still sputters and skips under load and will only maintain highway speeds for a few minutes before losing power and skipping. This is the type of performance I'd usually associate with a modern car with a plugged cat so I'm somewhat at a loss for what may be the problem. I'm guessing distributor but would love thought s or suggestions. As background, the plugs, wires, coil, cap, rotor, and points are new as of last summer however I have not yet pulled any plugs or checked the cap and rotor for signs of trouble. My recollection of installing all those ignition parts is that the distributor itself was loose and therefore probably on the verge of needing to be rebuilt/replaced itself. With that in mind, any suggestions for good distributor re-builders?

Thanks,
Jeff
'56 Sedan
Trenton, NJ