Re: IML: CAST CRANKS

In a message dated 4/2/2006 1:44:15 AM Eastern Standard Time, imperialdrivein@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Hi Everyone,What year did the 440's come out with a cast crank? I have
some vibration issues with a 440 from a 68' 300 that's in my 66' Imp.
Imperially  ,  Gary
Can you better describe the type of vibration you are experiencing? Is the vibe related to engine speed or road speed (does it vibe more in neutral if you race the engine)?  Did you just build this powertrain? The cast/forged crank issue definitely matters if major components are mismatched, but interchanging engine/trans parts between a '66 and a '68 all should be OK.
For those who don't know, the easy way to identify a cast crank B or RB Chrysler engine is to look for a counterweight on the front of the balancer. If the front (where the pulley bolts to) is smooth and you can see the hub and outer ring, there should be a forged crank there. If you have a counterweight on the balancer, you should have weights on the converter or the flexplate (like B&M sells) The only exception are 318's, they have internally balanced cast cranks.