Re: IML: 1967 imperial front shock replacement

Re: IML: 1967 imperial front shock replacement

ajl <alacaria@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I replaced the rear shocks on my 1967 Imperial. I have removed the front
shocks, (had to cut the top bolts off to remove them).
Has anyone else changed their shocks on their 67 or 68?
Anthony,

I changed the front shocks on my '70 Imperial a couple of years ago, and the suspension is very similar to your '67.

I had to cut about an inch or so off of the top bolt, AND I also had to remove the lower control arm bumper, which allowed the control arms to drop an extra couple of inches.  Removing the control arm bumper was critical, as I don't think I could have ever gotten the shock in otherwise (short of actually removing the control arm).  Note that it's MUCH easier to remove the control arm bumper than it is to remove the control arm itself.  :o)

That being said, it's NOT an easy job.  Time, patience, and creative cursing seem to be the important factors.

Remove the control arm bumper, and you'll have a better shot at it.

Good luck!

Elijah

Imperial Power Window Switch Repair

The Imperial Bookshelf - Repair/Shop Manuals, Parts Books, History & More!

My Collection of Imperials
1965 Imperial LeBaron
1967 Chrysler Newport Custom Sedan
1970 Imperial LeBaron