Re: IML: 1967 imperial suspension

ajl <alacaria@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I found a pitman arm at Autozone for $115.00. They could not get an idler arm but sold me a bushing kit. They told me that unless it is bent the bushing kit would take care of it.
The bushing kit will replace the bushings where the idler arm bolts to the frame.

Unfortunately, idler arms usually wear at the ball & socket connection where the idler arm bolts to the center link.  That's why you have to replace the idler arm.

You can have the idler arm rebuilt (Rare Parts -- http://www.rareparts.com/ is one place that will do this), but it's not cheap.

The ball & socket joint of the idler arm is a press fit joint.  The ball part lives between a couple of rubber bushings in there, and after the rubber degrades, you get a sloppy joint.  I'm pretty much convinced that if one could find a source for the rubber bushings, it ought to be relatively cheap and easy to use a shop press to replace them.  But I've never actually done this, and I may be way off base in my thinking.

Good luck,

Elijah

Imperial Power Window Switch Repair

The Imperial Bookshelf - Repair/Shop Manuals, Parts Books, History & More!

My Collection of Imperials
1965 Imperial LeBaron
1967 Chrysler Newport Custom Sedan
1970 Imperial LeBaron