Re: IML: general question about balljoints

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rob van der Es" <r.vdes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, April 09, 2006 7:02 AM
Subject: IML: general question about balljoints

Hi all,

I need your help with regard to putting back a balljoint into proper position!

Allthough it is not for my 1960 Imperial, but for the 1977 Mercedes of my
wife Chantalle, I am sure some of you guys know the answer.

I have replaced the front springs of the Mercedes (the old ones were
broken.., it wasn't Imperial quality I assume..) and to gain access for
the new springs I need to lower the subframe. I removed the balljoint of
the steering knuckle to do so, and that was easy enough.
A sharp blow of a big hammer did the job perfectly well, I used the nut to
protect the threads of the balljoint.
I was thinking that thighten the nut again will force the balljoint back
into position but that didn't work.
Do I need a special tool for it, or is there a trick that I don't know??

Allthough I am doing almost all repairs on my cars for 15 years now, this
is the first time that I had to remove a balljoint and putting it back.

I hope some of you can help me out on this one!

Thanks in advance,

Robert van der Es
Unfortunatelly cannot answer of list as your E-mail address is not on original message

Rob

You may need a new ball joint, as these are press fit into the knuckle, and need to be pressed in, the part number is
116 333 09 27, and good after market are NOT expensive. I can tell as I import parts for european passenger cars
from European manufacturers.

Regards

Joachim, from Melbourne, Australia