Sent: Sunday, May 07, 2006 9:43 AM
To: IML
Subject: IML: Sluggish Trans on '66?

Is it me, or is there a problem in my '66?

When I step on the gas, it "seems" like the engine RPM
has to come up higher than normal to generate forward
motion, and stopming the gas does not yeild crisp
results.  I also seem to be getting poor fuel mileage
- another symptom of a poorly engaging transmission.

I say "seems" becuase this is a very sublte
difference, and I could be imagining it.  The car runs
great and just completed a 500 mile trip down the
state.

I have had a (different) Imperial trans run out of
fluid and just spin/slip - this is NOT happening here.
 Just feels like you do when you run through sand on
the beach and have to work harder for the same amount
of progress.

Is this a condition that could be addressed by
adjustment of bands?  Something else?  The kickdown
linkage does not seem to engage well either, but I'm
willing to adjust it back some more before pointing to
it as not right either.

Car has 65k and I suspect that the driveline is
original, but don't know.  Could have been out and
rebuilt or swapped in from another car - the car's
past is unclear.

Kenyon Wills