Re: IML: Dummies books - trivia question at bottom

Re: IML: Dummies books - trivia question at bottom

The FSM is your best resource by far.

Motor's is a great resource because it is so
encyclopedic, BUT ---- it covers every car from every
mfg for those years.  Were you to take scissors and
cut out the relevant info to your year car, you might
wind up with a few pages, 10-20 at most (vs 400-600
for the  FSM).

Generally it's stuff like torque and tuneup specs that
one would need doing general maintenance, not a full
redo, but it's good reading in a general way, too.

Want to do some reading/learning?

Try this stuff (FREEEEE!!!).  Going a few years
forward or backward of your car won't hurt, and these
explain most automotive mechanical principals in
general.  The presumption of the FSM is that you've
read these, so they really do help!  Read both and
you'll be well armed.

http://imperialclub.com/Repair/Lit/Master/index.htm

Check out the LEARN MORE link at the top of the page -
interesting stuff!

My MTSC trivia challenge to you is this:

When in a manual gearbox car with a clutch, you
dis-connect the engine from the wheels at a stoplight
by pressing in the clutch.  Engine and wheels must
both turn if clutch is engaged.

Automatic transmissions require no manual action.  How
can the car be stopped, the engine still running, and
the transmission still in D?  Why doesn't the engine
die?

See "1948" if you'd like to be able to stump people
that seem to know everything.  This is a good example
of how these books provide everything that you need to
know to figure things out (to a degree).

-Kenyon

--- Clint and Laurie Carter