Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 9:29 AM
Subject: Re: IML: 69 Imperial Failed Emissions

Something that I do for emissions tests is to do an oil change immediately before the test (the same day). I  do not know if this is an old wives tale, but it has served me well on many emissions tests. I guess the idea is to not have any crap in your oil at all which could effect the emissions.

This is probably also a good opportunity for a complete tune up as posted below. I am a big believer in electronic ignitions and high voltage coils. I have an Mopar distrubitor/Orange ECU/MSD Blaster II coil on my 1969 LeBaron, but previously ran a Pertronix I/stock coil on a 1966 383 Newport with great success. The Pertronix unit is relatively cheap (ca $75) and almost undetectable, simply replacing the points and requiring a power lead. After installing the Pertronix I did not touch the ignition on the vehicle for 10 years, at which point I got rid of it.