From: Tom Scott
Sent: 7/12/2006 8:58:28 PM
Subject: IML: Agreed value figures

I just got my beautiful powdered bronze lady (60 Crown Southampton) back from the body shop.  The mechanical/body restoration has taken about 9 months but the effort was well worth it.  She has a minor tranny leak and the gas gauge and radio are both inop but they are more petty annoyances than problems.  I have 2 questions for the group.

1.  An old time Chrysler mechanic told me that the leak was probably the connection for the speedo cable.  He said the cables had a long rubber boot where they attached to the tranny and they had a tendency to dry out and crack.  My car sat since 1979 so this made a lot of sense to me.  I haven't crawled underneath yet to verify that's where the problem is but has anyone run into a similar problem before with this kind of leak.  If so,  is there a fix other than trying to find a NOS cable boot?

2.  I spoke to my insurance carrier today about the agreed value of the car.  It is probably a #2, -2 or so.  Still a few things left to do...a few chrome parts, carpets, detail engine bay, etc.  They said they didn't have any information on late 50's early 60's Imperials.  I sent them pictures of the car and they bumped me up to $15,000 for the agreed value.  Does this sound reasonable?  Most of the 60's I've seen sold during the past 9 months have either been parts cars, in need of total restos or customized jobs.  I know I could go to an appraiser but before I spend the money I though I'd ask the older...I mean more experience Imp owners their opinion on the general value of my lady.   Does anyone know of any restored/survivor 60's that have sold recently?  Oh, mine has a grand total of 16,000 miles which I can document with service receipts.

Thanx
Tom

60 Crown Southampton, big, bold , beautiful and on the road again
80 NYer 5th Ave
82 Cordoba LS
99 300M